Teaching and Learning
At Lanyon High School our focus on teaching and learning is represented in the Lanyon Cluster Learning and Teaching Model. This model is used across all schools in the Lanyon Cluster – Charles Conder Primary School, Bonython Primary School, Gordon, Primary School, and of course Lanyon High School. With this K-10 approach, at Lanyon High School we are able to build on the teaching and learning that students have experienced in their primary school years.
The key elements of this model are:
- Our overarching framework of Productive Pedagogies to define what is good teaching and learning.
- The Learning by Design framework as the planning tool to achieve good teaching and learning.
- The Teacher Professional Toolkit to support teachers to build a repertoire of effective teaching and learning strategies.
Examples of strategies from the Teacher Professional Toolkit include:
- Cooperative Learning
- Information Literacy
- Counting On
- A sense making approach to mathematics
- Mental Computation
- De Bono’s Creative Thinking
- Multiple Intelligences
- Cooperative Reading
- First Steps
Units of work are documented on the Learning by Design framework across all curriculum banks and incorporate the Essential Learning Achievements of the Every Chance to Learn Curriculum Framework for ACT Schools (P-10) developed by the ACT Department of Education and Training.